Thursday, March 4, 2021

IN ANOTHER'S WORDS


             Lent

 Prayer  Fasting   Alms

 This week let's focus on 

 a marvelous way to pray.




Dear All of Us,
So, way back when,
how did you get a start at prayer?
For most of us it was as children,
sharing in our mother's prayer.

As a little boy my Mom

        taught me
The Sign Of The Cross

     "In the name
     of the Father, and
     of the Son, and
     of the Holy Ghost.
                         Amen

    moving the right hand

    to my forehead, then
    to my chest, then
    to my left shoulder, then
    to my right shoulder.

At first Mom said the words.

Soon I joined in with her.
Eventually I was able to go solo.
      I learned to pray
      by at first praying

  IN ANOTHER'S WORDS.


To this day, and a lot of 
different prayer experiences later,
 I sometimes still pray

 
IN ANOTHER'S WORDS.


Their prayer, their
      Soul Say,
 guides me down
 wondrous, refreshing,
 new paths to the divine.
 It expands my
 spiritual spectrum,
 enables new
 soul sensitivities
 and articulations.


            Please
  see, sense, savor, this
          Soul Say
          
IN ANOTHER'S WORDS,

   those of the mystic
     and theologian
      Karl Rahner:

"Only in love can I find you,

           my God.
In love the gates of my soul
        spring open,
  allowing me to breath
  a new air of freedom
 and forget my petty self.
 In love my whole being
        streams forth
out of the rigid confines 
      of narrowness
and anxious self-assertion,
which makes me a prisoner
    of my own poverty
      and emptiness.

In love all the powers
         of my soul
     flow out toward you,
wanting never more to return,
but to lose themselves completely
            in you,
    since by your love
 you are the inmost center
        of my heart,
       closer to me
  than I am to myself.

       
But when I love you,

   when I manage to break out
    of the narrow circle of self
          and leave behind
         the restless agony
    of unanswered question,
      when my blinded eyes
no longer look merely from afar
       and from the outside
upon your unapproachable brightness,
and much more when you yourself,
     O Incomprehensible One,
    have become through love
    the inmost center of my life,
       then I can bury myself
           entirely in you,
       O mysterious God,
         and with myself
        all my questions."

             
WOW!!

         What Soul Say!!


         Wish I'd said that,


             prayed that.


      Well, actually, I just did,


      IN ANOTHER'S WORDS


      and we all can as well.


         

         Thanks, Mom!!

         "In the name
       of the Father, and
       of the Son, and
       of the Holy Ghost."
                        Amen



           In the Soul Say,
        
           in the prayers,

     IN  ANOTHER'S WORDS


that follow below, please do just that.

       Take time and quiet to 

               Soul Sense

               Soul Say

 them over the next weeks and more.
   
            Let's all allow for
 
              Holy Leisure.

     The speed bumps of fast 

will bottom out the peace and joy of

          Slow Soulful Savor.

Like an extraordinary wine,

these prayings are for slow sipping.

             Thank You!!

     Holding you and all of us in


             God's Dear Love,


                John Frank

 
                   *****


       For those new here,


please see the information about


       "frankly speaking"


  at the bottom of this posting.

          
         ************
           

          PRAYER

IN ANOTHER'S WORDS

     



Native American Prayer

     

O Great Spirit,

  whose breath gives life


         to the world,


 and whose voice is heard


     in the soft breeze;


           We need


 your strength and wisdom.


 Cause us to walk in beauty.


Give us eyes ever to behold


  the red and purple sunset.


        Make us wise


 so that we may understand


   what you have taught us.


   Help us learn the lessons


       you have hidden


   in every leaf and rock.


   Make us always ready


        to come to you


      with clean hands


       and steady eyes,


     so when life fades,


   like the fading sunset,


our spirits may come to you


       without shame.


             *****




Mechthild of Magdeberg



O burning Mountain, O chosen Sun,

O perfect Moon, O fathomless Well,


O unattainable Height,


O Clearness beyond measure,


O Wisdom without end,


O Mercy without limit,


O Strength beyond resistance,


O Crown beyond all majesty:


The humblest thing you created


sings your praise. Amen


               *****


You might enjoy the book

             Prayers


                by

     
        Michael Quoist

             ******


Dag Hammarskjold


Thou who art over us,


Thou who are one of us,


Thou who art:


     Give me a pure heart,


     that I may see thee;


     a humble heart,


     that I may hear thee;


     a heart of love,


     that I may serve thee;


     a heart of faith,


     that I may abide in thee.


               Amen


               *****

        
          
          Alan Paton


O Lord,

   open my eyes


    that I may see


    the needs of others;


    open my ears


    that I may hear their cries;


    open my heart


    so that they need not


    be without succor;


let me not be afraid


to defend the weak


because of the anger


of the strong,


    nor afraid to defend the poor


   because of the anger of the rich.


Show me where love and hope


   and faith are needed,


   use me to bring them to those places.


And so open my eyes and my ears


   that I may this coming day be able


   to do some work of peace for thee.


                     Amen


                      *****



   Many find much good in praying 

                 THE PSALM'S

                       *****




An Affirmation Based on Romans 8: 31-39



We shall not be separated from God's love

that comes to us in Christ Jesus -


       Not by life or death,


       Not by depression's darkness


       nor any addiction's snare,


       Not by an abusive past


       or any co-dependent habits.


We are more than conquerors


because of the power


of God's love for us.


We shall not be separated


from the the love of God


       by a fall from sobriety


       or a failed marriage,


       by painful memories


       or financial disasters,


       by cancer's attack


       or AID's havoc.


God's love is as constant


as the rising sun,


and there is nothing


that can come between us


and God's Love through


Christ Jesus.


             
*****



A Reflection On Prayer



In my soul there is a temple, a shrine,

a mosque, a church where I kneel.


Prayer should bring us to an altar


where no walls or names exist.


Is there not a region of love where


the sovereignty is illumined nothing,


where ecstasy gets poured into itself


and becomes lost, and where


the wing is fully alive


but has no mind or body?


In my soul there is a temple, a shrine,


a mosque, a church that dissolve,


that dissolve in God.


        Rabia (c. 717-801)


                  ***** 


       
 
       A Poetic Prayer Pause
     

This beautiful prayer that follows 

is about aging.

That's one of the things 


I'm about these days.

I am graced by both!!


Please permit me to share a sharing.



 
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin



When the signs of age


begin to mark my body


(and still more when


they touch my mind);


when the ill that


is to diminish me


or carry me off


strikes from without


or is born within me;


When the painful moment comes


in which I suddenly awaken


to the fact that I am ill


or growing old;


and above all


at that last moment


when I feel I am


losing hold of myself


and am absolutely passive


within the hands


that have formed me;


in all these dark moments,


          O God,


grant that I may understand


that it is You


(provided my faith


is strong enough)


who are painfully parting


the fibers of my being


in order to penetrate


to the very marrow


of my substance


and bear me away


within Yourself.


*************




For all those new to


"frankly speaking"


a warm welcome!

- It is posted by mid-day 
Thursday

   east coast USA time at

johnfrankshares.blogspot.com


   and can be bookmarked


   for ready access


-  It is available each Friday


   by automatic email delivery -


   see Sign Up above right,


-  Its past postings are available


   at Blog Archive, right column.


   




Please take a few minutes to read


    KNOW YOUR SOURCE


               and


WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?


      for a bit of orientation -


          top right above


               

                Thanks   

        See you next week!!


***************************